Tuesday, September 3, 2013

West Fest 2013

We just celebrated West Fest 2013 this weekend. It was a little different being 8 months pregnant (which meant no pivo, aka beer), but we had a great time visiting and enjoying the atmosphere.

Our new Friday night West Fest tradition is to go to Pizza House of West. It's a great way to kick off the festival. We always get skunk eggs. Skunk eggs are a deep fried concoction of bacon, cheese, jalapenos, and a few other things. They are delicious and full of flavor.
We stayed on the campgrounds again and borrowed a camper from our friend's parents. It was a really nice camper and we're very thankful that they let us borrow it for the weekend.

On Saturday morning, we made breakfast, or should I say Tasha made breakfast. She made enough taquitos to last us the rest of the weekend so she wouldn't have to cook breakfast again.
The management does a great job of putting friends together in the RV spots. We were right across from the rest of the "Ennis crew". Our friends put up a Czech flag to add to the Westivities.
After breakfast, we headed to Mynar's Bar to hear a polka band jam session and chill with a few beers. Ok, I had water, but I wanted to imagine that it was a dark, cold Shiner.
This is where we usually run into old friends and really get into the West Fest mood.
Getting ready to head back to the grounds for some more polka music
Miss Marley came to her first West Fest and did so well. We kept her cool with a pad that stayed cool for hours. She listened to the music and even danced a few songs with her grandparents.
Me and my bestie listening to my dad's band. She usually stays the entire weekend with us, but other things came up and she could only stay one day. I have so much fun with my bestie at West Fest.
Although Marley was a trooper, she was usually like this on her cooling pad.
On Saturday night, Brave Combo always brings a great crowd and party. By this point, I was pretty tired from the heat and being on my feet all day, but stayed to listen to the music and dance a bit. I drank 7 bottles of water throughout the day, if anyone was wondering.
Enjoying a fun night
On Sunday, my cousin came with her husband's family from West and stopped to say hello. Her little girl on the left and her cousin were very interested in Marley. I thought this was so cute.
Sunday was a hard day. The heat was really wearing on me and my feet were starting to look like sasquatch feet. We took it easy and chilled at the camper until the late afternoon and then headed to the grounds. I satisfied my pregnancy cravings with a Spudzilla (potato skins) and snow cone. I wanted to stay a bit longer to hear Cory Morrow end the night, but my body was really tired and I decided to go to bed instead. 

This was the best way to describe how everyone was feeling Monday morning.
West Fest was a lot of fun, but it wears everyone out by the time it ends. 

We are already talking about how we will arrange our sleeping quarters for next year: possibly getting our own camper with my family. My mom has even said that she would take the kids back to the hotel while we enjoyed the festival.
 Can't wait to bring Eli to his first West Fest in 2014!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like y'all had a lot of fun as usual. My mom and I were wondering what skunk eggs were. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you need to try them!! You will not regret trying them.

    ReplyDelete