Monday, January 28, 2013

Reading in 2013

As an English major and a person who loves to read, I am quite shocked that after becoming a teacher I find it very hard to pick up a book and read it. Maybe it's reading all of the essays and homework every day and coming home completely exhausted or, maybe it's that once I start a book I don't want to stop and I don't know when I could come back to it with my schedule. Nevertheless, I really want to get back into my love for reading. I would like to read books that not only enlighten my mind, but also draw me closer to Christ. I'm not saying I don't enjoy some junk reading (I do have the entire Twilight series that I have read several times), but I want to dig deeper in my faith and see what I find.

My first book of the year is A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do in the Liturgy by Edward Sri. It's a long title, but it's self-explanatory. I bought this book when I attended the Steubenville South Youth Conference in June 2011. I don't know why I didn't pick this off my book shelf earlier. This is such an easy read and has helped me understand the Mass better. Being a cradle Catholic, I would just follow the motions of Mass and never bothered to understand why we do what we do in Mass. Only a few years ago did I start to pay attention and wonder why. With the help of the Missal in church I understood what we are saying, but this really helps with why we are saying in the Mass.  

I like biographies and especially autobiographies. When I attended Our Lady of the Lake University, one of my religion classes taught by one of my favorite professors introduced me to Thomas Merton, a Trappist monk. I have been fascinated by his work and story. I want to read his autobiography, The Seven Storey Mountain. Although he was a Trappist monk, he did not always live such a pious life. His autobiography is compared to St. Augustine's early life. I would really like to dive in and read this great man's journey with God.

With my love of autobiographies are also my love for conversion stories. I enjoy reading about how people found their faith and love of the Catholic Church. Converts find a way to point out the simplest, yet most beautiful parts of our Faith that cradle Catholics have taken for granted. With this comes Thomas Howard. He converted at the age of 50 coming from an Evangelical background. He intricately weaves his Evangelical background with his new found Catholic faith in Lead, Kindly Light: My Journey to Rome. I am really excited to read his story.

These are just a few books that I want to read. I will add more as the year progresses as I scratch a few of these off my list.
What's on your list? 
What do you want to read in 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment