Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Forty Days and Forty Nights

As Lent approaches I start to hear the song we sang just about every year at school Masses during Lent: "Forty days and forty nights/You were fasting in the wild..."
I have been contemplating on Lent and what it means for me this year. Even though the message is the same every year, the opportunity to grow deeper into Christ's love differs with where we are on our spiritual journeys.
As a new mom, I have added a new layer to my perspective on my spiritual journey and how to convey that to my child. Yes, he is only four months old, but I feel now, more than ever, is the time to start faith-filled traditions with him.
Here are five actions that I am committing myself to during this Lenten season:

1. Pray the Rosary on my way to work
I did this one last year and kept it going even after Lent. I stopped doing it when I went on maternity leave and switched cars when I went back to work. I kept forgetting too lazy to get the CD out of the other car. I really missed it because it gave me sense of calmness before the crazy day started. It reassured me that no matter how bad the day got my Mother Mary was praying for me. 

2. Go to Stations of the Cross
This one is one of my favorite things to do during Lent. And not in a morbid way, but in that I can relive the 14 stations with Christ that lead up to our waiting for the third day when our King comes back. It's setting aside our lives and taking a walk with Jesus on his road to redeem us that makes me realize how I can never thank Him enough.

3. Put the phone down when nursing
I have this habit of automatically grabbing my phone before picking up Eli to nurse him. It's not a terrible habit, but I started to realize that I was missing out on this bonding moment with Eli because I was being consumed by my phone. My goal is to use this time to bond with Eli and also as prayer time. I think those quiet minutes will be good to listen to God and enjoy my time with my son.

4. Pray before meals
I planned on doing this one last year, but did not succeed. I am going to seriously commit to this one and try something new to remind myself. I'm going to wear a bracelet that will hopefully remind me to pray. I do not usually wear jewelry, so I think this will catch my eye as a constant reminder to pray.

5. Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation
 I'm going to confess that it has been since the last Lenten season that I have been to confession. I'm not proud of it and now feel the urge to go and be released from my sins. I am committed to finding the time for Jesus.

I do not post my Lenten commitments as a way to boast, but to show that I am a sinner who is committed to following Christ.

If you want to see what I chose to do last year, you can find it here
(Most of my commitments carried over from last year either because I didn't stick to them or I wanted to do them again.)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I am considering doing the stations of the cross this year. It is a tough commitment with the boys bedtimes but we may work around it one night a week. It shouldn't be that hard. I also grab my phone while I am nursing and I feel guilty for it. This is something I should work on. I also would like to go to confession during Lent. Man, I should do all of yours!

    I am going to COMMIT to mine and TRY to do some of yours.

    ReplyDelete