Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Special Treat


A few weeks ago, my school sent out an email looking for pregnant women who would like to receive a free sonogram. I replied that I would love to! They explained that a group called Youth Making a Difference (Y.M.A.D.) would be hosting an after school presentation on life beginning at conception and wanted to showcase women at different stages of pregnancy. 

Before the program began they wanted to check the women to make sure that the baby was active and everything looked good. The sonographer asked how far I was and I said 18 weeks. She then asked if I wanted to know the sex of the baby. I truly did want to know, but Chris was not there with me and I really wanted to have that moment with him. I declined and tried my best not to look to close at the monitor to try and detect what the sex is.

After the initial check, the program began and they asked the moms to come up one at a time and have their sonogram projected on a big screen. It was really cool to see the different sizes of babies and how they acted in the womb. There was a mom at 13 weeks, 16 weeks, me at 18 weeks, and one more at 38 weeks. When it came to my turn, the sonographer quickly said look at what this little person is doing. My child was kneeling down and head bunting themselves against the womb. She noted that she sees many babies do this, but ours definitely has personality already. I figured it wouldn't be too long before we saw this baby's personality.

You can see the baby's position in the pictures below.

The group had a program made for the event and the babies were listed as special guests. I thought that was really cute and sweet.
The group also gave us gift bags for participating and sharing a personal part of our lives with them. This bag was jammed full with diapers, wipes, a homemade baby blanket, baby medicine kit, bath soap and lotion, and a head brace for the car seat. That was very thoughtful and kind. They were so grateful that we shared this moment of our lives with them. I didn't see it as a big deal until the kids came up and hugged us and thanked us. 
I'm really glad that I participated in this event and showed young people that life begins at conception. Even though I have not met this lil' person yet, I know that they are alive inside me and will one day call me mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment