Monday, May 6, 2013

Kolache Making Class



A few weeks ago, I signed my sister and I up for a kolache making class. Although we enjoy these sweet pastries that are based in our heritage, it hasn't become a family tradition like making strudel or cheese rolls. My mother always said that they were too hard to make and she didn't want to fuss with them.

We were determined to figure out how to make them. There were about 20 of us that signed up for the class and we knew a few people which made it a bit easier for us to come out of our shells. We started out by making the dough. The dough making was very similar to making the dough for cheese rolls. There were only so many people who could make the dough, so the rest of us sat and watched.This was not the highlight of kolache making.

Our teaching chef, Betty. 

After waiting for the dough to rise we were ready for the fun part. We got to"pinch" the dough and make them into balls.


Once those rose, we were ready for the really fun part. We got to make little holes for the filling to go in and then fill them. We got to choose between apricot and cream cheese (my faves). Here is Bri sprinkling the streusel topping.



 They looked like mini pizzas.



Just about to go into the oven. Look at all that butter.
 
 Our finished product. Believe me, they tasted even better than they looked.

Now this was the best part of the entire process
I had a great time baking with my sister. I'm not sure if we will make these by ourselves, but maybe we can teach our family and make them together one day.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun and very yummy! I love that you took pictures to document!

    ReplyDelete