Friday, March 22, 2013

Lenten Check-In #2

As we come to a close on this Lenten season, I am reflecting on my promises. This wasn't the most successful year, but I did grow closer to Christ and His message during this season. By offering up our sacrifices, no matter how small, we see a small fraction of what Christ did for us. Here are my promises and how they changed me into a better Catholic Christian:

1. Pray the Rosary every day
I was doing so well with this one and then Spring Break hit. I usually say this in my car on the way to school with my CD, but since I didn't drive as much this week I didn't say my Rosary as much. I want to keep up with this one after Lent. I really enjoy saying the Rosary at the beginning of the day as it prepares me for what the day has in store for me.


2. Read Not By Bread Alone: Daily Reflections for Lent 2013
I finally started reading this book. I have no excuses as to why I never started. It took a total of five minutes out of my day to read, reflect, and pray on it. Shame on me for not keeping up with this earlier.

3. Pray Before Meals
No comment. Why oh why is this one so hard for me???? I think I remembered a total of 10 times to pray before my meals. I'm not happy with this one and want to continue practicing it after Lent. I want this one to be a habit that just comes naturally, especially once we start having children. I am thankful for what God gives me, I just need to remember my timing.


 4. Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation
I am going next Wednesday for this beautiful sacrament. This is one that I do NOT want to pass up due to selfishness or pride. I hope everyone partakes in this sacrament and prepares their hearts for the coming of Christ.

 5. Attend Stations of the Cross
I've only missed one week of this. I was really bummed that I didn't get to make it last week as my family wanted to go out to dinner in Dallas and we wouldn't make it back in time for Stations of the Cross. I am going tonight and next week for the Veneration of the Cross.
Veneration of the Cross is my favorite Triduum event. Even though it is the most solemn, it is the most beautiful as the choir sings "Behold the Wood" and "Via Dolorosa". These two songs move me and truly put you in the scene of the crowd as Jesus walked to Calvary. As we venerate or kiss the Cross, I am humbled at what Christ did for us and I am overwhelmed by my selfish sins that caused this.

I hope we have all grown closer to our Lord during these 40 days and prepared our hearts for what He has done for us. This next week, Holy Week, although sorrowful and solemn, only helps us anticipate for the most celebrated day in our Christian year, the Resurrection of our Lord.

As someone posted on Facebook, "Earth's saddest day and gladdest day were just...three days apart."

Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment