Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Reuse, Recycle

I had talked with my Aunt Joan a few months ago about making these toilet paper wreaths.

Sounds crazy to make something so beautiful out of something that is mindlessly thrown away. It took me a few months to gather so many toilet paper and paper towel rolls.
It was a bit hard to figure out how to make the wreaths, but once I got started it became easier and easier. We used hot glue to keep the rolls together and a salad plate to give shape to the circle.
Here is my first. It's not my favorite, but I kept it because Aunt Joan made some awesome wax paper flowers that made it look fantastic.
Here are the other two that I made

I gave the last one to Aunt Joan. It reminded me of the wreaths the athletes wore in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

I put the first one in my entryway.

 I think it is perfect and the white flowers really make the wreath "pop".

I got a little crafty with the other one and added letters to it.
This one now hangs in my classroom.

The only little problem I have with these wreaths is that they are pretty flimsy. I searched online and the only way I could find to stiffen them up was to spray paint them. I really liked the natural color and didn't want to spray paint them. I went to Michael's and found a thick gloss that can be used on crafts. It stiffened the rolls a little, but not very much. I made sure that I had at least two nails holding the wreath in place so that it stays.

In my next post I will show a creative way of displaying family recipes!!



1 comment: