Friday, August 3, 2012

Getting Crafty in the Kitchen

I had said a few posts back that I would give my reviews on a few Pinterest recipes. I will remind you, again, that I am not a complicated cook. I like simple recipes that call for less than 5 ingredients, but are so delicious that you want to make them again and again.

This first one was Taco Ring. 

I found this one to be very easy and quick for a party or appetizer. I don't think it was enough for my husband to qualify it as a meal.

 I garnished it with rice and fixin's.
The next Pinterest recipe I made was Crockpot Beer Chicken

We had just got back from our trip to England and I wanted to make this. It called for ANY beer to be used. I went to the garage fridge and saw that all of the light beer was gone.(I found out that my cousin, who was house-sitting for us, had a party while we were gone.) The only beer I had was Guiness and Shiner Wild Hare. I went for the Wild Hare and soon regretted it. The beer was so heavy that it tasted like you were eating beer. If I make this again, I will definitely use a lighter beer. Needless to say, the majority of it went on our compost pile.
I also made Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps

This was just like tacos only using turkey meat and lettuce leaves for shells. This would have worked perfectly if my lettuce would have cooperated. I would try to tear a big leaf and it would rip in half. We finally just made it into a salad. It was still good!

My worst mistake was making Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo

It was not the recipe's fault, but the cook's fault. I take full responsibility for this one. This recipe called for chicken broth, which I didn't have. I called my mom and she said she had chicken bouillon. She told me that I needed to add it to water to make a broth. I knew this as I was putting the ingredients together, but my mind slipped and I put in 1 cup of bouillon in the recipe. I knew something was wrong when the sauce started to look like this
Looks gross, doesn't it? Well it tasted worse than it looked. It was so salty that I gagged. I had to put that on the compost pile, too.

Baked Pesto Chicken goes in the Top 5

This was scrumptious!!! So simple, quick, and easy! I made this and served it in a matter of 20 minutes. The only change I made it to it was the cheese. I didn't have mozzarella, but I had Muenster. The Muenster was really tasty on top of the pesto chicken. I cannot speak highly enough of this meal.

The last meal I have made is Crockpot Italian Chicken.





 Chris raved on this one so much last night. I used frozen chicken and put it on high for 4 hours. I also used Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese. We couldn't tell the difference. Once it was cooked, I added noodles and covered it for another 15 minutes.  I will make this one again.

I used to be so afraid of cooking and one of my favorite sayings was, "If it doesn't have directions on the back, then I don't make it." That is not true anymore. I just keep trying recipes and even some with ingredients I have never tried before. Yes, as you can see, I mess up and have to throw some things out. But, I keep going and find something that works for my appetite. My suggestion to anyone scared of trying new recipes is to find a recipe that has at least 3 ingredients that you know and like and try it. You just might like it!

I look forward to finding more recipes on Pinterest and also seeing if you have tried any of these or changed them.




No comments:

Post a Comment